Sunday, December 21, 2014

Peace



Two NYPD police officers were murdered last night, by an assailant who allegedly vowed to kill police officers in revenge for the deaths of Micheal Brown and Eric Garner.

(http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/us/new-york-police-officers-shot/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Peace. Something we long for, but don't seem to really want.

As a people, we seem more concerned with our rights than with our responsibilities.

And you cannot have the first without taking up the second. 

Justice comes when our rights are protected and we take care of what we are responsible for.

Advent is a time of hope, love, joy and peace.
In thinking about this fourth candle in our Advent wreath, I am reminded of the hymn that we sing from time to time, Let Peace Begin with Me:

Let there be peace on Earth,
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on Earth,
The peace that was meant to be.

With God as our Father,
Brothers all are we,
Let me walk with my brother,
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me,
Let this be the moment now,
With every step I take,
Let this be my solemn vow,

To take each moment and live each moment
In peace, eternally.
Let there be peace on Earth,
And let it begin with me.

Peace is not an abstract hope, but a reality that can be experienced.

But it can only become a reality for those around me when it becomes a priority in me.

Only when Peace is something I choose to be responsible for, will it become a reaity - for us or for others.

Peace begins with each of us – a commitment to live in peace through the knowledge that every man, woman and child is our sibling when God is our Father.

Let peace begin with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment